You don’t know what you’re missing if you’ve never owned a Himalayan Pink Salt Lamp. It’s like having an open window – a softly glowing natural source of fresh, clean air – on your desk, in your living room, next to the bed, or anywhere you choose to put it.
Want to own your own Himalayan salt lamps? You can purchase a variety of sizes from this page on Amazon.
Before we dive into the health benefits of using Himalayan pink salt lamps in your home, it may be helpful to first have a brief chemistry lesson:
How Salt Lamps WorkAll matter (the human body, air, water, etc) is made up of molecules which are made up of atoms which are made up of three types of particles: protons (positive charge), electrons (negative charge), and neutrons (no charge). Electrons orbit their molecules like planets revolve around a star.
Occasionally an electron flies off and when it does, it leaves behind a positively-charged ion whose sole purpose in life becomes to fill the void left by its little lost electron. In other words: it wants to steal a replacement electron from another molecule. Due to differences in molecular structure (number of electrons in the outermost orbit, strength and structure of electron bonds, etc) some materials lose electrons much more easily than others.
With this basic understanding of the behaviors of positive and negative ions fresh in your mind, let’s take a look at the top 10 benefits of the Himalayan Pink Salt Lamp.
1. Cleanse & Deodorize the AirProbably the most well-known benefit – and why the majority of people use them – is due to their incredible power to remove dust, pollen, cigarette smoke, and other contaminants from the air. “But how do they do this,” you ask? “It’s just a big chunk of salt with a light bulb inside, right?”
Well yes, but no. There’s much more to it than that.
Himalayan pink salt lamps purify air through the power of hygroscopy, meaning that they attract water molecules from the surrounding environment then absorb those molecules – as well as any foreign particles they may be carrying – into the salt crystal. As the HPS lamp warms up from the heat produced by the light bulb inside, that same water then evaporates back into the air and the trapped particles of dust, pollen, smoke, etc remain locked in the salt.
2. Reduce Allergy & Asthma SymptomsBecause HPS lamps remove microscopic particles of dust, pet dander, mold, mildew and the like from the surrounding air, placing a lamp or two in the rooms where you spend the most time can seriously cut back on allergy symptoms. Even people who suffer from asthma should notice a big difference after a week or two. (In fact, Himalayan pink salt is so good for your airways, there are even HPS Inhalers!)
3. Eases CoughingWhen the Himalayan pink salt lamp heats up and begins its hygroscopic cycling of airborne particles, it also changes the charge of the molecules which are released. (Remember our chemistry lesson?) The majority of homes are filled with positively charged ions which aren’t particularly good for a person’s health. The positive ions are created by a number of things, but the primary source for most of us is from our electronics.
One of the health detriments of breathing lots of positive ions in the air is that the cilia (microscopic hairs) which line the trachea (aka windpipe) become sluggish and don’t work as well to keep contaminants out of our lungs. As a Himalayan pink salt lamp absorbs water and particles from the air, it also takes positive ions with them. Then, when the heated salt releases cleansed water vapor back into the air, it also expels negative ions which have the opposite effect on our airways – increasing cilial activity to keep your lungs clear.
What all this means in a nutshell: Besides removing contaminants from the air, Himalayan pink salt lamps also help your body to filter air more efficiently so any foreign particles you do happen to breathe won’t make it into your lungs.
4. Increase Energy LevelsTaking a drive through the countryside with the windows down, spending time at the beach or camping in the mountains, or simply taking a shower first thing in the morning are all things that many people find invigorating. It’s not a coincidence that these are all activities which expose us to increased concentrations of negative ions such as those generated by Himalayan salt lamps. The fact is, positive ions sap our bodies of energy. Unfortunately, it’s all too common for us to try to diagnose the problem as something else entirely.
If you constantly feel tired and don’t know why, try keeping a Himalayan salt lamp in the room or rooms where you spend the most time. After about a week, you should notice a difference.
5. Neutralize Electromagnetic RadiationNowadays, most of us are living in a metaphorical ocean of electromagnetic (EM) radiation which flows from our electronics (ie: television, computer, cell phone, tablet, appliances, stereo, etc). While they may be invisible, the long-term effects of EM exposure can be quite serious. Constant exposure to EM radiation is known to increase stress levels, cause chronic fatigue, and decrease the body’s immune response, among other things.
As they emit negative ions into the air, Himalayan salt lamps work to neutralize electromagnetic radiation. Keep one next to the computer, television, and any other electrical devices which you use frequently to reduce the potential danger to you and your family.
6. Better SleepAnother side effect which results from over-exposure to positive ions in the air is that it robs you of quality sleep. This happens because those positively-charged particles can actually reduce blood and oxygen supply to the brain resulting in irregular sleep patterns. Himalayan pink salt lamps are natural negative ion generators, thus they can help to reverse this problem. Keep one or two around your bedroom to improve the air quality so you can get a better night’s sleep.
Remember, even if you’re like me and you can’t sleep unless the room is totally dark, you can always turn the lamp off at bedtime. Just leave it on for the rest of the day so it can do its work while you’re awake. People in humid climates should be aware that HPS lamps tend to weep when the salt becomes cool. You’ll definitely want to protect surfaces by placing a saucer underneath and be sure to follow the instructions for use and care which should be included with your lamp!
7. Improve Mood & ConcentrationHimalayan pink salt lamps are a great way to naturally enhance your mood or to help you relax and unwind at the end of the day. At the same time and on the opposite side of the coin, HPS lamps are great for improving concentration. Again, this is due to the effect of the negative ions on your body, improving blood and oxygen supply to the brain and other organs, as well as providing a boost of serotonin – the neurotransmitter which makes us (literally) feel happy.
8. Treat Seasonal Affective DisorderIn addition to generating negative ions which improve mood and energy levels, the soft, natural light given off by a Himalayan pink salt lamp is close enough to the warm glow of sunshine that they can even be used to relieve the symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder. This year when the days get shorter, fight back the lethargy by surrounding yourself with a few HPS lamps set on timers.
9. Reduce Static Electricity in the AirWhile not a “health benefit” at first glance, static is pesky stuff. It causes stress, embarrassment, and frustration. Static zaps you when you least expect it, as you’re reaching for a door handle, kissing your husband or wife before bed, or trying to pet your dog or cat. Static can give you a bad hair day, make it impossible to clean crumbs or coffee grounds off of the kitchen counter, and even cause you to accidentally go to work with a sock stuck to the back of your shirt…
(Okay, so that last one may have been a little over-the-top.) The point is, static electricity can be a huge pain and Himalayan pink salt lamps are a natural way to neutralize the airborne ionized particles which cause it.
10. Environmentally-Friendly Light SourceLast, but not least: Himalayan pink salt lamps are environmentally friendly. While only an estimate, the reserves from which HPS is mined measure somewhere between 80 and 600 million tons and is projected to last for at least another 350 years at the current extraction rate. The base of an HPS lamp is generally carved from a sustainable wood such as neem. Some lamps use a low-wattage bulb which consumes very little energy while others are powered by a lit candle.
Choosing & Placing Your Himalayan Pink Salt LampWhen it comes to buying Himalayan pink salt lamps, coverage is determined by the size of the crystal. Smaller lamps are good for the average bedroom, while larger lamps are better for spaces like the living room or den. On average, calculate that 1 lb of HPS crystal will cleanse the air in approximately a 4′ x 4′ area.
If you can’t find a large enough lamp for any given room, remember that you can use multiple lamps spread out around the space for the same effect.
I highly recommend building a whole-home collection of these beautiful lights even if you only buy one or two at a time. Start by purchasing appropriately-sized lamps for those areas where you spend the most time, then move on to rooms with lots of electrical devices, and finish your collection by adding lamps to infrequently-used spaces.
For added variety, consider adding some Himalayan pink salt tea light holders to your HPS collection for a portable air purifier that can move around your house with you.
Remember, Himalayan pink salt crystals will begin to melt with prolonged exposure to high humidity. For this reason, use caution and keep a close watch on any HPS lamps positioned near sources of steam such as dishwashers, laundry machines, or showers.
Also, as previously mentioned, results of negative ion generation may take about a week to be noticeable, so don’t give up if you don’t feel the improvement right away.
More Ways To Purify Home AirHimalayan pink salt lamps aren’t the only way to improve air quality in your environment. Pair them with air purifying houseplants or any of these other simple, yet brilliant techniques to naturally purify the air in your home so you and your family can breath the healthiest, cleanest air possible!
Original article from naturallivingideas.com.
Yep you heard right, female ejaculation. For some of you sweet things, this may be a W T F? moment; other readers it will be nothing new; but please, do keep reading...
A few years ago, I remember sitting around a dinner table and the women discussing their 'overly sexual' friend(whom was not present) who recently told them she could ejaculate during sex. The energy of the group of women was a fusion of hysteria, awkwardness, yet deeply curious & intrigued. They made fun of the woman, laughed in their awkwardness; yet they all wanted to know more & experience this ... I could feel it. All the while I am sitting there thinking... "Shit I want to tell these women what they're missing out on".
The thing is... every woman has the ability and potential to ejaculate.
Here is a basic overview of the Kundalini / biological process of Amrita; in my own interpretation of experiencing this & also with references of Tantric Yoga texts. However here, I more share from what I have experienced & embodied; and I always encourage you to do the same. The divine feminine is embodied; and sources her wisdom from within; not a cookie cut out from a text book process.
WHAT IS AMRITA & KUNDALINI ?Amrita is the sanskrit word for 'sweet nectar'. The Kundalini is the twin serpent energy (vital life force) that resides at the base of our spine awaiting to be awoken. During love making, spiritual practice such as Yoga & tantric practices, the kundalini can be awoken & raised through the chakras. As it rises up the spine it purifies all the chakras all that is not in alignment with love & is an intense process that causes not just genital orgasm but full body energetic orgasm & beautiful experiences like Amrita (female ejaculation). In the Kundalini rising/awakening processes it is the two fluids of the twin serpent kundalini snakes; that drips down from the crown of the head once they have risen up to the crown, from the base of the spine & met eye to eye in the centre of the brain around the pineal gland; in perfect non duality union. This experience is blissful and meditative, and one goes into a complete present state of non duality, in my experience it feels like the most intense meditation ever, and there is no ME anymore, I am not identified with being a woman or man, it is just blank. Once the snakes meet, they produce & secrete a fluid, the Amrita that drips down the back of the throat all the way down the spine & can be excreted through the mouth, and the yoni (vagina).
Sometimes I will spit or scream as the energy comes out my throat, and then it makes its way down to the lower back & to the yoni and will be secreted out the urethra.
This process is incredibly powerful and healing. Words simply do not do it justice but I hope I am conveying this in a clear way.
Amrita is in fact referred to as the sweet nectar as it was drunk by the Gods and used as a potent and powerful healing & transformational medicine; today most of us are no where near accessing our full sexual potential and utilizing this incredible gift.
WHERE DOES THE FLUID COME OUT? Women ejaculate through their urethra, the same place we pee from. Not through the vagina. So, naturally the biggest fear around fully experiencing this is around fear of 'letting go'. Because when the tension builds it can feel as though we need to wee, and around that fear of letting go, making a mess, we hold back. So it is super important to feel safe, I like to put a towel down on the bed; as a lot of liquid comes out. Psychologically it is also around feeling safe in your body, in your feminine and allowing yourself to fully recieve during love making. The feminine essence is receptive, she receives, through the yoni - when fully in touch with your body there is no mind involved in this process - it is almost as if the energy just dances through you; and you offer your body as the vessel for what wants to happen; no judgement, no control or thinking "I hope he is enjoying this" or heaven forbid worrying about house work, or life dramas. No mind is ESSENTIAL!
HOW TO AWAKEN TO AMRITA? As I mentioned, no mind is key. So being committed to being 100% present with your body. Try deeply meditating before love making or self pleasure. Be in a relaxed state. The most intense ejaculations I have had were after I spent an hour in the bath soaking my body before love making.
Women's sacred spot, (the g-spot) is; as the name suggests - sacred. This is because this point once opened to its full potential opens the gateway to the Amrita process to begin. It this spot however is where we hold so much of the guilt shame fear around sexuality and our femininity so it is crucial to clear & heal this sacred spot on all levels mind body soul for this process to even be possible. I can support this in our 1:1 sacred sexology sessions.
Empowered & Embodied. All women are able to experience this; and you do not need an experienced tantric lover; in fact when a woman is tuned into her natural self, no matter who she shares her sexual energy with, they will automatically step up into their fullest sexual potential. This is the way of the female tantrika. She lies within us all. The key is self love, and self exploration first, if a woman does not know her own body & how to make love to her self, she will never be able to FULLY experience her sexual potential with another.
Surrendered & receptive are the mantras for the sacred feminine during love making. Once all control is let go, and she allows herself to fully receive the sexual fire from the masculine, the natural flow of masculine and feminine energy can take place. That is: Man giving energy from penis, woman receiving energy through vagina. Woman giving energy from heart, man receiving energy through heart.
HEALING BENEFITS OF AMRITA?There are countless healing benefits to this beautiful experience. Unlike men, when they ejaculate they are losing energy. When women ejaculate we do not experience this, in fact in my experience I gain a LOT of energy. For me it feels as though it is a feeling of release. After I feel clear in my body, in my mind and spirit. I feel extremely calm the next day; and super creative. Sometimes I get flu symptoms the day after, a bit of a head cold, which I know is a semi detoxification process and it doesn't last longer than a day. It also as it is clearing out the urethra, prevents things like Urinary Tract Infections; as it is incredibly cleansing of the kidneys and urinary tract. It balances hormones and supports menstruation troubles. Other benefits include, cleansed throat, so greater self expression. Entire chakra cleansing. Open heart. Increased creativity. Greater self empowerment. The list is endless.
Yoga Tip: Tongue: Yoga’s Sensuous Muscle
This slender powerful muscle is easily the most under-valued muscle in yoga instruction. For many teachers talking about the tongue is taboo. The tongue is sexual especially if that pink thing is moving. It should remain hidden. Heaven forbid if anyone expose his or her tongue in a yoga class! Cuz you know what that means. Don’t you? Some perv is trawling for sex.
Is Your Tongue Supple Enough to Rouse Yogic Energies?
Three decades back I got the strangest looks from classmates in high school chemistry when I used to slap my tongue rapid-fire up & down like a snake. Okay, so I’m an oddball. But it felt calming to my nervous system & made it easier to think clearly. Yogis do some odd things that really aren’t odd. By examining the reasons behind practices, we can learn so much about our bodies & the energetic pathways to living a vital sensuous life. Especially for anyone interested in tantra, learn about your tongue as a gateway to awakening flows of energy.
The tongue plays a huge role in either blocking or connecting the energy connecting the central energy channels of the lower body with the brain & cranial glands. When clenched with unconscious tensions this oral muscle inhibits the pillars required to build a successful Hatha yoga practice, namely Ujaya breath & Mulabandha. Relaxing & utilizing the tongue as an energetic conduit between the head & the spine (sex, survival, power chakras), hips, legs, feet & the earth is the easiest quickest way to upgrade your yoga practice.
As a teacher, I observe hundreds of studio members struggling with short choppy breaths. In as many different ways as possible, every day I coax these individuals to stretch out the duration of their breath cycles. Naturally I talk about the tongue. In challenging asanas when the breath remains long and elegant while the heart rate spikes up, miracles happen on the mat.
Why not take 5 minutes to wake up your tongue? See if you feel more relaxed & energetically plugged into the flow of your sexual life-force? If you do, why not incorporate awareness of your tongue on the mat & in your life?
Step 1: Mulabandha – Spread this pink muscle slightly forward & gently lift. The tongue won’t be flat because the roof of your mouth is not flat. The tip may extend slightly beyond your front teeth depending on how long it is. When you inhale, lightly draw up this wide soft tongue. At the same time, lightly draw up the tiny perineum muscle in your pelvic floor. On a scale of 1 – 10, if 1 is flaccid like a glob of jelly & 10 is hard like diamond, aim for 3 or 4 in terms of hardness. Engage these muscles like a gentle suckle. Squeezing too hard kinks up the energy lines & introduces more tension into what’s likely already an over-wound system. Are you playing with it, this lift in the tongue & perineum? This is Mulabandha (root lock) which is best practiced predominantly on inhales.
When you combine Mulabhanda with Ujaya, Ahhhhh! Now you’ve got something sensuous! The Root Seal + Long Oceanic Breath = Rise of Sexual Energy up the Spine! Get ready to feel so AWESOME! Again, if you don’t believe me, TRY IT!
Step 2: Ujaya – Engage whisper muscle at the back of your throat to create a subtle restriction on both inhales & exhales. This Ujaya creates a calm slow oceanic cadence to the breath.
Step 3: Now bring the tongue & perineum lift together with the Ujaya Ocean breath. Close your eyes. Pay attention. From the inside-out, let energy rise up your spine & expand the boundaries of your psychic skin. Can you feel your aura unfurling?
Relax your tongue! Go ahead. When no one’s looking, massage yourself. Trust me. It’ll feel good. Work the tensions out with your fingers. Then try slapping your tongue up & down as quickly as you can. If these options sound too weird, just slide the tongue slightly forward & spread/lift it into the roof of your mouth. Notice if your Ujaya breath instantly becomes much much easier. And isn’t it easier to generate the lift in your perineum when you lift your tongue?
For many yogis developing the necessary dexterity to draw energy from the perineum up the spine & into the 1000-petal lotus of the 7th crown chakra is the Holy Grail of Yoga. Is this stuff real or just some myth invented by Indian dudes writing up their own winning lottery tickets? Well, this mulabandha is real. So are the 7 chakras. From my experience, the tongue is one of the keys. If you don’t believe me, try it! Right now! In a comfortable posture, close your eyes. Relax your tongue. And play with a sensuous steady lift & a long slow breath! Ahhhhhhh! Om Shakti Om … Om Shiva Om